Sunday, March 28, 2010

For a great part of my mission I spent a good portion of my days trying to memorize either scriptures, vocabulary words in english or in spanish. My father told me before I went on my mission that he developed a love for learning words on his mission and he urged me to do the same. I developed the same love for memorizing things on my mission. At the beginning of my mission I worked for the most part on spanish words so that I could increase my vocabulary of the spanish language. Once I improved that aspect i started to memorize the main points of scriptures. This greatly helped me become a better teacher to my investigators. At the end of my mission I started working on english vocabulary words to help me remember how to speak english. All of this practice on the mission has greatly helped me these last two semesters of school to learn things quicker. I am currently trying to learn new vocabulary words everyday so that I can augment the pool of vocabulary words that I draw from when I am writing. I still have a long ways to go but I think that if I can make it a daily habit of learning new words each day then I will be able to greatly increase the amount of words that I can learn. I think it is so amazing that people like President Monson have photographic memories, that would be so incredible to have. I am sure that he had to start learning things little by little, just like I am!
I have been working on memorizing "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe for the poem I have to memorize. It has been enjoyable to memorize a poem, I think that if I did this more often it would help me to become better at memorizing all kinds of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment