Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath

I am reading the Grapes of Wrath for fun in my spare time (which isn't much) right now. I am about a third of the way through it and I have pleasantly enjoyed it so far. It was a little slow getting started but I it is starting to pick up. My father told me that I should read one of these book because it is one of his favorite books. Reading this book has caused me to think and ponder more about the depression and the difficult things that happened during that time. But it has also caused me to reflect on our country now and the economic recession we are passing through. These are scary times and I think we need to follow the counsel of the Prophets now more than ever. I am so grateful that we have a Prophet who prophesied over 5 years ago that we needed to be frugal and prudent with our money and live within our means. Those that took his counsel are very grateful now. Living within our means... It seems like such an easy concept but when pride gets ahold of our hearts it can be a difficult habit to let go of. I am grateful for the classics that we have that teach all of us but especially the rising generation about the past so that we don't commit the same mistakes as others. I think that it is important to know about the past so that we can better chart our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment